From: Denis Dupeyron <calchan@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 06:06:49
1 On 7/7/06, Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o> wrote:
2 > I think the Council idea is great. However, I think
3 > the Council should be charged with a little bit of direction-setting and
4 > leadership as well.
5 [...]
6 > 1. The council was (by design?) a reactive force, rather than a
7 > pro-active force.
8 [...]
9 > This project needs some leadership, as
10 > the events of the past few months show fairly clearly.
11
12 Agreed. We could decide we do not elect the council members based on
13 their coding skills or any other type of technical skill. But instead
14 have the nominees do some campaigning before the elections, and make
15 direction-setting propositions for the coming year.
16
17 Another thing that bothers me is the possible overlapping between
18 council members, trustees and devrel. I wouldn't mind at all that any
19 dev could only be one of these at most at the same time. I know that
20 resigning from a position won't end the relationship between you and
21 your ex-fellow devs from the group you've just quit, but at least
22 functionally the link doesn't exist anymore. Plus, taking into account
23 that we have a life outside of gentoo, and that these functions are
24 the critical ones, having only one of these positions means a better
25 chance to be efficient.
26
27 Denis.
28 --