From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 01:18:02
1 Hi Everyone,
2
3 I just wanted to put a few thoughts out there as people contemplate
4 nominees and the elections for the Gentoo Council. I personally am on
5 the fence about running this year, because I think there are a lot of
6 talented people who *should* be on the council.
7
8 Now that I've said that (the "*should*" bit), let me expand on its
9 meaning a little. I think the Council idea is great. However, I think
10 the Council should be charged with a little bit of direction-setting and
11 leadership as well. In the past year, the council did make some
12 decisions, and helped to mediate some controversial issues.
13
14 There were a couple of things which I thought were lacking, however:
15
16 1. The council was (by design?) a reactive force, rather than a
17 pro-active force.
18
19 2. There's no way to follow through on the Council's decisions.
20
21 I think these points involve *every* gentoo developer (and would-be
22 developer) and not just the Council. If you have a GLEP or an idea and
23 it gets approved by the council, now what? That's the thing: follow
24 through on it! A question is, perhaps, should the council follow-up with
25 previously approved GLEPs and inquire as to status updates?
26
27 For an exemplar of the way I think the council should be is
28 Spanky/vapier. Solar also does this well. Both of them take a
29 leadership role in general in the project and are generally respected
30 and admired for it. They both have great ideas and a vision. I think
31 that should be explored further. This project needs some leadership, as
32 the events of the past few months show fairly clearly.
33
34 Thanks for listening,
38 Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
39 Gentoo Foundation / Gentoo Linux