From: Alexandre Buisse <nattfodd@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:36:49
1 On Fri, Jul 7, 2006 at 09:53:36 +0200, Seemant Kulleen wrote:
2
3 > Hi Everyone,
4 >
5 > I just wanted to put a few thoughts out there as people contemplate
6 > nominees and the elections for the Gentoo Council. I personally am on
7 > the fence about running this year, because I think there are a lot of
8 > talented people who *should* be on the council.
9 >
10 > Now that I've said that (the "*should*" bit), let me expand on its
11 > meaning a little. I think the Council idea is great. However, I think
12 > the Council should be charged with a little bit of direction-setting and
13 > leadership as well. In the past year, the council did make some
14 > decisions, and helped to mediate some controversial issues.
15 >
16 > There were a couple of things which I thought were lacking, however:
17 >
18 > 1. The council was (by design?) a reactive force, rather than a
19 > pro-active force.
20 >
21 > 2. There's no way to follow through on the Council's decisions.
22 >
23 > I think these points involve *every* gentoo developer (and would-be
24 > developer) and not just the Council. If you have a GLEP or an idea and
25 > it gets approved by the council, now what? That's the thing: follow
26 > through on it! A question is, perhaps, should the council follow-up with
27 > previously approved GLEPs and inquire as to status updates?
28 >
29 > For an exemplar of the way I think the council should be is
30 > Spanky/vapier. Solar also does this well. Both of them take a
31 > leadership role in general in the project and are generally respected
32 > and admired for it. They both have great ideas and a vision. I think
33 > that should be explored further. This project needs some leadership, as
34 > the events of the past few months show fairly clearly.
35
36 Encouraged by this email and hoping that it is ok to do so, I will
37 nominate myself.
38
39 Thanks,
40 /Alexandre
41 --
42 Hi, I'm a .signature virus! Please copy me in your ~/.signature.