From: Christian Axelsson <smiler@××××××××××.nu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: rms@×××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:28:04
1 --------------------
2 On Sun, 22 Sep 2002 11:55:13 -0400
3 Richard Stallman <rms@×××.org> wrote:
4
5 <snip>
6 That criterion is not quite enough to achieve the stated goal, because
7 Licenses approved by the OSI are not necessarily Free Software
8 licenses. As a result, this criterion allows Gentoo to include, and
9 even depend on, programs that are not free software. (See
10 http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html for an example.)
11 </snip>
12
13 I agree on that
14
15 <snip>
16 Would you please consider changing your criterion to refer to both the
17 OSI and the FSF, so that licenses must qualify as both free software
18 and open source?
19 </snip>
20
21 It's a small change that might satisfy not just you but many others active in the community.
22 If I can vote I vote yes for that change to happend.
23
24 <snip>
25 (If you would call the system Gentoo GNU/Linux, that would help us
26 also. See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.)
27 </snip>
28
29 This isn't only more correct, it actually looks better IMHO :)
32 My 10 cents of worth...
35 Christian Axelsson
36 smiler@××××××××××.nu