From: Richard Stallman <rms@×××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:55:14
1 In the Gentoo social contract, I read:
2
3 Gentoo Linux is and will remain Free Software
4
5 We will release our contributions to Gentoo Linux as free software,
6 under the GNU General Public License version 2 (or later, at our
7 discretion.) Any external contributions to Gentoo Linux (in the form
8 of freely-distributable sources or binaries) may be incorporated into
9 Gentoo Linux provided that we are legally entitled to do so. However,
10 Gentoo Linux will never depend upon a piece of software unless it
11 conforms to the GNU General Public License, GNU "Lesser" Public
12 License or some other license approved by the Open Source Initiative
13 (OSI.)
14
15 That criterion is not quite enough to achieve the stated goal, because
16 Licenses approved by the OSI are not necessarily Free Software
17 licenses. As a result, this criterion allows Gentoo to include, and
18 even depend on, programs that are not free software. (See
19 http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html for an example.)
20
21 Would you please consider changing your criterion to refer to both the
22 OSI and the FSF, so that licenses must qualify as both free software
23 and open source?
24
25 (If you would call the system Gentoo GNU/Linux, that would help us
26 also. See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.)