From: Greg Corcoran <gregc@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 23:20:28
1 On Sun, 2002-09-22 at 08:55, Richard Stallman wrote:
2 > (If you would call the system Gentoo GNU/Linux, that would help us
3 > also. See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.)
4
5 The naming issue can get very politcal and is wet cement that hardens
6 for the future. Perhaps an idea would be to call it simply:
7
8 Gentoo OS
9
10 The kernel currently can be configured only for Linux but in the future
11 we may support other kernels that the community has interest in.
12
13 When a Gentoo System finishes booting the kernel a copyright line comes
14 up. It currently says something like the following if I remember
15 correctly:
16
17 Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org
18 Copyright 2001-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc. Distributed under GPL.
19
20 I think this is ambigous since GTI doesn't hold the copyright for many of the components. I think it needs to be more fine grained.
21
22 Perhaps it should read something like the following:
23
24 Gentoo OS (Linux Kernel) http://www.gentoo.org
25 Made with GNU Tools and Components
26 Portage (c) 2001-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc. Distributed under GPL
27
28 I'm not sure who utlimately decides issues like this where its very
29 difficult to keep all parties happy. Perhaps the Gentoo Technologies,
30 Inc. board of directors should decide. I'm not sure who that is though
31 and who the stake holders are.
32
33 The website could credit significant contributing projects to give credit where credit is due. Certainly Python is a very important part of Gentoo and that's not GNU.
34
35 Greg