From: "Thomas M. Beaudry" <k8la@×××××××××.com>
To: Greg Corcoran <gregc@××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 05:28:10
1 > Gentoo OS
2 >
3 > The kernel currently can be configured only for Linux but in the future
4 > we may support other kernels that the community has interest in.
5
6 Actually an argument for leaving the name as-is. Then you have Gentoo
7 Linux, Gentoo Hurd, etc. depending on the kernel that you are booting.
8
9 > When a Gentoo System finishes booting the kernel a copyright line comes
10 > up. It currently says something like the following if I remember
11 > correctly:
12 >
13 > Gentoo Linux; http://www.gentoo.org
14 > Copyright 2001-2002 Gentoo Technologies, Inc. Distributed under GPL.
15 >
16 > I think this is ambigous since GTI doesn't hold the copyright for many
17 > of the components. I think it needs to be more fine grained.
18
19 Nothing wrong with this, you can copyright a unique collection without
20 violating the copyrights of the individual components. Think of a book
21 of short stories. Each of the stories is copyrighted and the book has
22 copyrighted that selection and order of short stories.
25 Thomas M. Beaudry
26 k8la / ys1ztm