From: Evan Read <eread@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: mpickers@××××××××××××.au
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:01:42
1 On Mon, 23 Sep 2002 01:55, Richard Stallman wrote:
2 > In the Gentoo social contract, I read:
3 >
4 > Gentoo Linux is and will remain Free Software
5 >
6 > We will release our contributions to Gentoo Linux as free software,
7 > under the GNU General Public License version 2 (or later, at our
8 > discretion.) Any external contributions to Gentoo Linux (in the form
9 > of freely-distributable sources or binaries) may be incorporated into
10 > Gentoo Linux provided that we are legally entitled to do so. However,
11 > Gentoo Linux will never depend upon a piece of software unless it
12 > conforms to the GNU General Public License, GNU "Lesser" Public
13 > License or some other license approved by the Open Source Initiative
14 > (OSI.)
15 >
16 > That criterion is not quite enough to achieve the stated goal, because
17 > Licenses approved by the OSI are not necessarily Free Software
18 > licenses. As a result, this criterion allows Gentoo to include, and
19 > even depend on, programs that are not free software. (See
20 > http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html for an example.)
21
22 Hmm. I had never thought of this before. Since the GPL came from the FSF
23 guys, it does make sense to mention them in greater detail. As Richard has
24 said, we ARE talking about Free Software in Gentoo, not just Open Source.
25
26 I guess this kind of thing is Daniel's call (or one of a few others). Have
27 they anything to say about this?
28
29 > Would you please consider changing your criterion to refer to both the
30 > OSI and the FSF, so that licenses must qualify as both free software
31 > and open source?
32
33 I think this is fair, provided the distribution is commited to the goals the
34 FSF talks about. I think it is.
35
36 > (If you would call the system Gentoo GNU/Linux, that would help us
37 > also. See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.)
38
39 Heh. I noticed this has a more minor mention here. I really don't have a
40 problem with this at all because, as the other guy wrote, we are not
41 commercial. Our users aren't going to suddenly go "huh?".
42
43 But I have not been through everything fully. I think it appropriate to
44 discuss this now.
45
46 Does that fact that Gentoo has become a blip on RMS's radar mean it is finally
47 "arriving"? ;) Hehe.
48
49 Evan.