From: Spider <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:55:47
1 Now.. Would every one here just take a moment and ....
2
3 B A C K O F F !
4
5 Just see here.. Two lines.. here below:
6
7 Richard Stallman <rms@×××.org> wrote:
8 > (If you would call the system Gentoo GNU/Linux, that would help us
9 > also. See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html.)
12 AND HOW MANY MESSAGES ABOUT IT?
15 The signal:noise ratio went dead here.
16
17 <signal>
18 his points about the license is valid, and a good one at that. I quite
19 like the concept of "emerge system" only pulling in sk. "free" licenses.
20 thats what we have right now in practicallity, I see no reason to
21 change the formality to match the practicality.
22
23 <noise>
24 as for the name change.. er.. No.
25 simply cause then I couldnt go and port the BSD userspace tools + libc
26 to the linux kernel and package in Gentoo... then it wouldn't be GNU
27 linux .. itd be BSD Linux .. And we'd have anther name.. Bah bah bah.
30 Call the system you install GNU/Linux if you wish. I know mine is mostly
31 GNU/Linux. but I would sure want to try and make Gentoo possibly
32 something more than GNU. I dont want to tie my efforts to that only.
33 for now we ship only GNU as the "real hard core" (of course, our own
34 work... BSD stuff and the python + perl things.. but those hardly
35 count.......)
39 // Spider
40 Irate developer
44 begin .signature
45 This is a .signature virus! Please copy me into your .signature!
47 end