From: Kevyn Shortell <kevyn@×××.com>
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 16:04:23
1 Do a package count, then go find out which ones are GNU.
2 You'd be surprised, how many aren't.Then go look at the GNU
3 web page, and see how many packages, Didn't used to be under
4 the GNU banner, and now are. Seems a little like Microsoft to me.
5
6 The issue is, if RMS puts those quiet little two lines in an email
7 at some point to every dist on the planet, in the hopes of making
8 GNU seem a lot more important that it really is its not a small thing.
9 If you just add a small blurb in a email about something else, It looks
10 like its an after-thought, and people don't take it as a direct request.
11 That's why people do this, very sneaky. Got to give him credit.
12
13 But ask around to other dists who have been approached by RMS,
14 they all say the same thing regarding RMS and GNU.
15
16 Yes, GNU is important. It is important enough to change the name?
17 No. If RMS truly wanted to evangelize the benefits of GNU, why
18 isn't he trying to get more sites to have information about GNU on
19 their site? Why is he trying to change the name of every dist on the
20 planet? Because he thinks that having GNU in front of every name
21 makes people think of GNU in a positive light. How many users
22 actually KNOW what GNU is based off calling something
23 GNU/Linux? Probably none.
24
25 So why such a large push from RMS to do this? And yes it is a large
26 push, When RMS hunts down a mailing list for dists and mails there,
27 as opposed to posting an email to the people who run the dist, it is very
28 deliberate. It is about politics, and how RMS wants people to publicly
29 validate GNU. We have. We use GNU's projects, we like them, but
30 to join the cult of GNU seems a little excessive. Think about it, at what
31 point does GNU become what they were founded to fight against?
32 I've heard for years people are considering a NGNU (Not GNU) project
33 just because of RMS's tactics. This says more about RMS and GNU
34 than any webpage EVER could.
35
36 It's like any Ford small truck, The engine and transmission is made by
37 Mazda. Does Mazda require Ford to call the truck a Mazda/Ford Ranger?
38 No. That would be stupid. The truck can't run without those parts, but
39 does Mazda care if they get credit? No they care that Ford and its customers
40 are happy, And if you were to open the hood, You'd notice the Mazda
41 logo here and there on things.
42
43 So if RMS truly wanted to further the GNU cause, he'd get distro's to
44 provide more information on the dist page, about GNU, and the
45 benefits, where users could go and read about why GNU was important.
46 It's been mentioned to him in several forums, does he do it? No he keeps
47 building the GNU empire and claims to be doing for the benefit of the
48 community.
49
50 So how does causing animosity and resentment benefit the community?
51
52 It doesn't.
53
54 Kevyn
55
56 ----- Original Message -----
57 From: "Spider" <spider@g.o>
58 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
59 Sent: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 12:53 PM
60 Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo