From: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: Kevyn Shortell <kevyn@×××.com>
Cc: Spider <spider@g.o>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:18:23
1 "Kevyn Shortell" <kevyn@×××.com> writes:
2
3 > Do a package count, then go find out which ones are GNU. You'd be
4 > surprised, how many aren't.Then go look at the GNU web page, and see
5 > how many packages, Didn't used to be under the GNU banner, and now
6 > are. Seems a little like Microsoft to me.
7
8 Hu? When projects decide to be part of the GNU project, the GNU
9 project "seems a little like Microsoft"? Weird.
10
11 > If RMS truly wanted to evangelize the benefits of GNU, why isn't he
12 > trying to get more sites to have information about GNU on their
13 > site?
14
15 Give an example, I can hardly imagine what you are thinking of.
16
17 > Why is he trying to change the name of every dist on the planet?
18
19 s/every dist/distributions built in top of GNU + Linux/
20
21 > So why such a large push from RMS to do this? And yes it is a large
22 > push, When RMS hunts down a mailing list for dists and mails there,
23 > as opposed to posting an email to the people who run the dist, it is
24 > very deliberate.
25
26 Why should he mail the users? The developers decide which name a
27 project has, not the users. And I also don't see why he is "hunting
28 down a mailing list".
29
30 > Think about it, at what point does GNU become what they were founded
31 > to fight against?
32
33 The GNU project was founded to develop a free operating software, to
34 develop free software in general, to establish the free software
35 movement, etc. I don't get your point.
36
37 > It's like any Ford small truck, The engine and transmission is made
38 > by Mazda. Does Mazda require Ford to call the truck a Mazda/Ford
39 > Ranger?
40
41 GNU does not "require" anyone to use GNU in their name, I don't know
42 where you get that from. It is simply a matter of helping, of
43 supporting and of giving credits. In this movement, or this scene,
44 such things are very important. Ford has simply bought something from
45 Mazda, that's why Mazda has no reason to ask Ford to use "Mazda" in
46 the name.
47
48 > No he keeps building the GNU empire and claims to be doing for the
49 > benefit of the community.
50
51 "GNU empire" seems like a contradiction to me.
52
53 > So how does causing animosity and resentment benefit the community?
54
55 Sorry, I cannot follow your conclusions.
56
57 moritz
58 --
59 moritz@×××××××××××××××.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
60 GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06 B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199