From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stop useless removals
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 15:37:12
1 On 02/01/2013 07:07 AM, Michael Weber wrote:
2 > On 02/01/2013 12:20 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
3 >> On 01/02/2013 12:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >>> I do think it is a loss for Gentoo if we start removing packages
5 >>> simply because they don't change (which is all a dead upstream means -
6 >>> it isn't always a bad thing).
7 >>
8 >> The problem is that a package that doesn't change _will_ bitrot. Full stop.
9 >>
10 >> Trying to pretend that the problem does not exist, that an unmaintained
11 >> package is just as fine as a maintained one is stupid and shortsighted,
12 >> and explains why I have 1600 bugs open...
13 >
14 > Making up new situations up like cross-dev, Gentoo/Prefix, or jet
15 > another cluttered C compiler should not doom working software.
16 >
17 > I agree on your testing effort and practice, but compliance with the
18 > weirdest of all setups shouldn't be ultimate reason.
21 Being broken on one architecture should not prevent a package from being
22 available to others where it works. You just do not keyword things on
23 architectures where they are broken. This is why we have keywording.