From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Please stop useless removals
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 12:08:11
1 On 02/01/2013 12:20 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 01/02/2013 12:11, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> I do think it is a loss for Gentoo if we start removing packages
4 >> simply because they don't change (which is all a dead upstream means -
5 >> it isn't always a bad thing).
6 >
7 > The problem is that a package that doesn't change _will_ bitrot. Full stop.
8 >
9 > Trying to pretend that the problem does not exist, that an unmaintained
10 > package is just as fine as a maintained one is stupid and shortsighted,
11 > and explains why I have 1600 bugs open...
12
13 Making up new situations up like cross-dev, Gentoo/Prefix, or jet
14 another cluttered C compiler should not doom working software.
15
16 I agree on your testing effort and practice, but compliance with the
17 weirdest of all setups shouldn't be ultimate reason.
20 Michael Weber
21 Gentoo Developer
22 web: https://xmw.de/
23 mailto: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>