From: "Raúl Porcel" <armin76@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The status of the 'minor' arches in gentoo
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 09:25:51
1 On 02/17/13 17:03, Agostino Sarubbo wrote:
2 > In the last time I'm helping some other arches (also arches which I have no
3 > interest) because they appears understaffed.
4 >
5 > Days ago, I tried to make a virtual machine with qemu, for SH since the dev-
6 > machine[1] is a bit slow; well, I discovered we have no ISO[2] available and
7 > there is no handbook[3] for it.
8 >
9 > The same thing is for S390/S390X/M68K/. So how I am able to install one of
10 > that _supported_ arches if there isn't any sort of guide?
13 Like ARM, most SH devices don't have a CDROM drive, so thats why there's
14 no ISO. Like I told you, the way to install onto those kind of machines
15 is either tftpbooting or putting the disk into another machine and
16 configure it from there. I've installed all my ARM and SH machines using
17 the latter.
18
19 The reason for not having a manual is like ARM, there are specific
20 boards which require different configurations, kernels, bootloaders,
21 etc. Same reason as why there's no ISO, some boards couldn't even boot
22 from the CDROM, and you'll need a kernel for each board, etc...
23
24 I've always thought that whoever has a SH board, m68k, or access to a
25 s390 machine, and wants to use Gentoo, is smart enough to do it by itself.