From: "Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason" <jeedo@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] XFCE package names
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 19:08:24
1 Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Sunday 25 January 2004 04:02, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 >
4 >>A normal CVS checkout of the gentoo-x86 from the tree (locally on the
5 >>CVS server) takes 8 minutes. Your SVN co took 3.8 times as long as the
6 >>CVS checkout so thats nearly 30 minutes to do a checkout :-(.
9 > Both take too long to my sense. Which is basically what I experienced before.
10
11 Well thats 30 minutes for the whole tree initially, as i understand thats
12 because svn is doing alot more in the background than CVS is, anyway i might
13 just have not known how to operate it correctly so speeding it up might be a
14 possibility.
15
16 However note that thats 30 minutes for the whole tree, just grabbing the part
17 you're going to be working on or even updating your working copy will never
18 take that long once you have cheked it out initially.
19
20 $ find /usr/portage -maxdepth 1 -iname '*-*'|sort|wc -l
21 104
22
23 So grabbing a whole subbranch is still just 16 seconds on average (of course
24 they differ in size)
25
26 It could be better but its not that bad, especially considering all the
27 atvantages you get.
28
29 >>I am really worried about lock contention however. We already keep all
30 >>of the cvs locks on a tmpfs filesystem for speed and disk fragmentation
31 >>reasons.
34 > I don't know how subversion does this, but you are right that it is possible
35 > that subversion does global locking. In that case subversion is out of the
36 > question.
37 >
38 > Paul
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list