From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 18:47:42
1 On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:37:47 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 09:05:03AM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:15:38 +0100
6 > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:57:32 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
9 > > > <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
10 > > > | Things that package moves cause:
11 > > > | 1) Dependencies throughout the tree have to be updated
12 > > >
13 > > > And? This isn't a breakage.
14 > >
15 > > It is however unnecessary inconvenience for the user, even assuming
16 > > the support for moves is bug-free.
17 >
18 > Think you're ignoring that proper categorization *is* useful to the
19 > user. One of the costs of that is moving when necessary.
20
21 My main point is that "proper" categorisation is subjective. What
22 should be in net-voip for some people, should be in net-im for others
23 (since many packages provide functionality in both areas). Thus whether
24 or not it moves are necessary is subjective.
25
26 > Sounds of it, you don't much care for categorizatin- that's fine,
27 > please keep in mind some people do find it a net gain to maintain the
28 > categorization however.
29
30 I'm happy with the idea of categorisation in general, I do however think
31 that the categorisation in the tree as it stands is simply inadequate.
32
33 > > > | 2) Current installations become inconsistent with respect to the
34 > > > tree
35 > > >
36 > > > Uh, current installations become 'inconsistent' whenever anyone
37 > > > changes *anything* in the tree.
38 > >
39 > > To a different degree. In the package move case, the inconsistency
40 > > occurs even though nothing has really changed, in terms of what the
41 > > packages actually do.
42 >
43 > Fundamentally the same thing however. It's metadata changes in the
44 > pkg universe, people fixing missing deps on pkgs induce the same
45 > thing.
46
47 No, my point was that there are two types of change to the tree -
48 changes that make a functional difference, and changes that don't.
49 Most changes to the tree fall into the former; however package moves
50 fall into the latter.
51
52 > Thing to note however is that via fixpackages, the inconsistancy can
53 > be corrected (the example I gave above cannot be without a verbump of
54 > some sort).
57 > > > | 3) Binary packages go out-of-date
58 > > >
59 > > > So rebuild them. Binary packages go out of date whenever someone
60 > > > does a version bump too.
61 > >
62 > > So your opinion is that it's fine to cause users to rebuild stuff
63 > > even when the package itself hasn't changed?
64 >
65 > You're ignoring what fixpackages does. Ever noticed how it's far
66 > faster when you don't have buildpkgs enabled? ;)
67
68 I certainly noticed how much time is lost when fixpackages chunters
69 through built packages to fix stuff up. These moves are the main
70 reason I removed buildpkgs from FEATURES. That was a while ago now -
71 Duncun suggests it's a lot faster now but I've not tried it recently.
72
73 > It goes through and rewrites the dependencies as needed. So no,
74 > doesn't force a rebuild if the user is running with proper options
75 > (frankly an option that should be nonoptional).
78 > > > | 4) Increased sync load
79 > > >
80 > > > Not really significant in comparison to, say, an arch team
81 > > > keywording a new KDE or Gnome stable.
82 > >
83 > > The difference with KDE or Gnome going stable is that it actually
84 > > provides something useful; i.e. an updated version of the packages
85 > > that are presumably better in some way. Package moves do not
86 > > improve what the package provides, at all, so you incur the pain
87 > > for no gain.
88 >
89 > Again, you may not view categories as useful, but others may.
90
91 My experience with categories as they stand, is that to find a package
92 whose location I don't already know I have to search all categories
93 anyway - it's certainly not possible to predict in which category a
94 package lives.
95
96 > > > | The key issue is that categories are semantically inadequate.
97 > > >
98 > > > That's no reason to use them improperly.
99 > >
100 > > I note you cherry-pick what to respond to. I explained how, without
101 > > improper use (whatever that is), you just end up with a tug-of-war
102 > > between herds about which category something should be in.
103 >
104 > Back hand the herds then. If they want to infight, spank their asses.
105 >
106 > Herds misbehaving doesn't mean everyone else is going to have a
107 > pissing match over the categorization of a pkg however- it shouldn't
108 > be used as an arguement _against_ proper categorization, since idiot
109 > infighting is a whole other problem.
112 > > > So again, you've *not* given any reasons to avoid sensible package
113 > > > moves.
114 > >
115 > > Ah; now you're qualifying. What do you consider to be a sensible
116 > > package move? I would define it as moves where the package is
117 > > blatantly in the wrong category (e.g. a voip package being found in
118 > > the app-text category) rather than moves where the package might be
119 > > a little more appropriate for one category than another -
120 > > especially where that judgement is subjective.
121 >
122 > Arguement over how to categorize I'll gladly stay out of, although
123 > one comment- for pkgs that are (at the initial time of adding) one of
124 > a kind, creating a category for it's specific flavor doesn't make
125 > much sense.
126
127 How to categorise is critical, if they are to have any meaning to
128 users. If you want to see if a package is in the tree, do you go
129 straight to it, or do you find yourself doing things like:
130
131 ls -d /usr/portage/*/<packagename>*
132
133 to find it?
134
135 > Couple of months down the line? # of pkgs that would fall into that
136 > categorization may warrant it, a scenario that does occur and is a
137 > bit relevant to net-voip.
138 >
139 > ~harring
142 Kevin F. Quinn