From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 20:44:48
1 On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 08:41:46PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
2 > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:37:47 -0700
3 > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 09:05:03AM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
6 > > > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:15:38 +0100
7 > > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 > > >
9 > > > > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:57:32 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
10 > > > > <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
11 > > > > | Things that package moves cause:
12 > > > > | 1) Dependencies throughout the tree have to be updated
13 > > > >
14 > > > > And? This isn't a breakage.
15 > > >
16 > > > It is however unnecessary inconvenience for the user, even assuming
17 > > > the support for moves is bug-free.
18 > >
19 > > Think you're ignoring that proper categorization *is* useful to the
20 > > user. One of the costs of that is moving when necessary.
21 >
22 > My main point is that "proper" categorisation is subjective. What
23 > should be in net-voip for some people, should be in net-im for others
24 > (since many packages provide functionality in both areas). Thus whether
25 > or not it moves are necessary is subjective.
26
27 How often does a package lie equally across multiple categories? I
28 think your point (pulling probably fairly close figures out of the
29 head) is relevant to all of 100 or so packages in the tree, out of
30 11k.
33 > > Sounds of it, you don't much care for categorizatin- that's fine,
34 > > please keep in mind some people do find it a net gain to maintain the
35 > > categorization however.
36 >
37 > I'm happy with the idea of categorisation in general, I do however think
38 > that the categorisation in the tree as it stands is simply inadequate.
39
40 Examples would be lovely- numerous examples specifically. Please keep
41 in mind the tree holds (as of about 15 hours back) 11,212 packages.
42 Pointing at one or two packages to label all categorization as
43 inadequate won't suffice, going to need to clear at *least* 1% of the
44 tree to back that assertion up.
47 > > > > | 3) Binary packages go out-of-date
48 > > > >
49 > > > > So rebuild them. Binary packages go out of date whenever someone
50 > > > > does a version bump too.
51 > > >
52 > > > So your opinion is that it's fine to cause users to rebuild stuff
53 > > > even when the package itself hasn't changed?
54 > >
55 > > You're ignoring what fixpackages does. Ever noticed how it's far
56 > > faster when you don't have buildpkgs enabled? ;)
57 >
58 > I certainly noticed how much time is lost when fixpackages chunters
59 > through built packages to fix stuff up.
60
61 My usual response to criticism of that sort applies- you know where
62 the src is ;)
63
64 Doing things *correctly* isn't always the same as doing things *fast*.
65 Throwing correctness bits out in the name of speed is a no go (iow,
66 fixpackages ought to be nonoptional).
67
68 > > Again, you may not view categories as useful, but others may.
69 >
70 > My experience with categories as they stand, is that to find a package
71 > whose location I don't already know I have to search all categories
72 > anyway - it's certainly not possible to predict in which category a
73 > package lives.
74
75 Not much experience then. Your use scenario above is "I'm looking
76 for a package", not "I'm trying to find packages in category x".
77
78 Of course categories don't matter to you in your case- you're not
79 *using* them. What others are talking about how ever is folks who
80 *are* using categories- say to see if any new packages were added to
81 games-strategy.
84 > > > > So again, you've *not* given any reasons to avoid sensible package
85 > > > > moves.
86 > > >
87 > > > Ah; now you're qualifying. What do you consider to be a sensible
88 > > > package move? I would define it as moves where the package is
89 > > > blatantly in the wrong category (e.g. a voip package being found in
90 > > > the app-text category) rather than moves where the package might be
91 > > > a little more appropriate for one category than another -
92 > > > especially where that judgement is subjective.
93 > >
94 > > Arguement over how to categorize I'll gladly stay out of, although
95 > > one comment- for pkgs that are (at the initial time of adding) one of
96 > > a kind, creating a category for it's specific flavor doesn't make
97 > > much sense.
98 >
99 > How to categorise is critical, if they are to have any meaning to
100 > users.
101
102 Even if a pkg is slightly miscategorized, it still is a fair bit more
103 useful then having a flat namespace.
104
105 > If you want to see if a package is in the tree, do you go
106 > straight to it, or do you find yourself doing things like:
107 >
108 > ls -d /usr/portage/*/<packagename>*
109 >
110 > to find it?
111
112 err...
113 emerge -s <packagename>
114 pquery <packagename>
115 paludis -q <packagename>
116
117 I'm honestly not really sure what point you're making there.
118 ~harring