From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 23:22:58
1 On Thu, 2006-07-20 at 13:24 -0700, Brian Harring wrote:
2 > Not much experience then. Your use scenario above is "I'm looking
3 > for a package", not "I'm trying to find packages in category x".
4 >
5 > Of course categories don't matter to you in your case- you're not
6 > *using* them. What others are talking about how ever is folks who
7 > *are* using categories- say to see if any new packages were added to
8 > games-strategy.
9
10 Actually, this is a perfect example of categories working properly.
11 After all, if you like to play the occasional RPG, then games-rpg would
12 be where you'd want to look. Sure, some of them are graphical and
13 require X, meaning they *could* be in x11-apps, but that isn't what most
14 people would consider them first. That being said, if you were wanting,
15 say, Neverwinter Nights (nwn), then it is possible you wouldn't know
16 which category it resides in, and need to search for it. However,
17 saying that categories in portage are poorly implemented is pretty much
18 downplaying their usefulness.
19
20 If someone told me there's a bug in ipw2200, I might not know what that
21 would be. If someone told me there's a bug in net-wireless/ipw2200, I
22 definitely would know that it is some sort of wireless
23 driver/application. Sure, we all know that the categories in portage
24 aren't perfect, but they're pretty good, for most cases.
25
26 > > How to categorise is critical, if they are to have any meaning to
27 > > users.
28 >
29 > Even if a pkg is slightly miscategorized, it still is a fair bit more
30 > useful then having a flat namespace.
31
32 Agreed.
33
34 Let's look at something like dhcpcd. It resides in net-misc. Now,
35 without that category, who would know it has *anything* to do with
36 networking (assuming you don't know what DHCP is... :P)? Of course,
37 that isn't the best example, but it does show the point.
38
39 > > If you want to see if a package is in the tree, do you go
40 > > straight to it, or do you find yourself doing things like:
41 > >
42 > > ls -d /usr/portage/*/<packagename>*
43 > >
44 > > to find it?
45 >
46 > err...
47 > emerge -s <packagename>
48 > pquery <packagename>
49 > paludis -q <packagename>
50 >
51 > I'm honestly not really sure what point you're making there.
52
53 I find myself first doing "emerge $packagename" since that *usually*
54 works. ;]
55
56 After that, I'll resort to some method of searching.
59 Chris Gianelloni
60 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
61 x86 Architecture Team
62 Games - Developer