From: "Kevin F. Quinn" <kevquinn@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New category: net-voip
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2006 09:48:56
1 On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:24:55 -0700
2 Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 08:41:46PM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
5 > > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:37:47 -0700
6 > > Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Thu, Jul 20, 2006 at 09:05:03AM +0200, Kevin F. Quinn wrote:
9 > > > > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:15:38 +0100
10 > > > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
11 > > > >
12 > > > > > On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:57:32 +0200 "Kevin F. Quinn"
13 > > > > > <kevquinn@g.o> wrote:
14 > > > > > | Things that package moves cause:
15 > > > > > | 1) Dependencies throughout the tree have to be updated
16 > > > > >
17 > > > > > And? This isn't a breakage.
18 > > > >
19 > > > > It is however unnecessary inconvenience for the user, even
20 > > > > assuming the support for moves is bug-free.
21 > > >
22 > > > Think you're ignoring that proper categorization *is* useful to
23 > > > the user. One of the costs of that is moving when necessary.
24 > >
25 > > My main point is that "proper" categorisation is subjective. What
26 > > should be in net-voip for some people, should be in net-im for
27 > > others (since many packages provide functionality in both areas).
28 > > Thus whether or not it moves are necessary is subjective.
29 >
30 > How often does a package lie equally across multiple categories? I
31 > think your point (pulling probably fairly close figures out of the
32 > head) is relevant to all of 100 or so packages in the tree, out of
33 > 11k.
34
35 Pretty much anything in the sys-* categories, for a start. Then
36 there's dev-libs - many packages provide libs and a simple app to use
37 them, so where do they go? In *-libs or a category for the simple app?
38
39 > > > Sounds of it, you don't much care for categorizatin- that's fine,
40 > > > please keep in mind some people do find it a net gain to maintain
41 > > > the categorization however.
42 > >
43 > > I'm happy with the idea of categorisation in general, I do however
44 > > think that the categorisation in the tree as it stands is simply
45 > > inadequate.
46 >
47 > Examples would be lovely- numerous examples specifically. Please
48 > keep in mind the tree holds (as of about 15 hours back) 11,212
49 > packages. Pointing at one or two packages to label all categorization
50 > as inadequate won't suffice, going to need to clear at *least* 1% of
51 > the tree to back that assertion up.
52
53 I'm not going to waste time going through 11k+ packages to show you
54 that many packages provide functionality that applies to more than one
55 category; it seems obvious to me. Some categories are better than
56 others - games-* for example, because those apps tend to be designed to
57 fit a category in the first place. The problems arise when
58 categorisation occurs in more than one direction (e.g. sys-* overlaps
59 other categories) or when categorisation has become so tight that few
60 packages fit only in such categories (which is what I think is
61 happening with the net-im/voip categorisation).
62
63 > > > > > | 3) Binary packages go out-of-date
64 > > > > >
65 > > > > > So rebuild them. Binary packages go out of date whenever
66 > > > > > someone does a version bump too.
67 > > > >
68 > > > > So your opinion is that it's fine to cause users to rebuild
69 > > > > stuff even when the package itself hasn't changed?
70 > > >
71 > > > You're ignoring what fixpackages does. Ever noticed how it's far
72 > > > faster when you don't have buildpkgs enabled? ;)
73 > >
74 > > I certainly noticed how much time is lost when fixpackages chunters
75 > > through built packages to fix stuff up.
76 >
77 > My usual response to criticism of that sort applies- you know where
78 > the src is ;)
79
80 My understanding is that the amount of time it takes to fix up binary
81 packages is down to having to unpack, tweak, then re-pack - the unpack
82 and re-pack are what consume the resource. Any alternative would
83 involve changing the package format.
84
85 > Doing things *correctly* isn't always the same as doing things
86 > *fast*. Throwing correctness bits out in the name of speed is a no go
87 > (iow, fixpackages ought to be nonoptional).
88
89 I agree - however this for me is an argument to avoid package moves
90 unless the move is very necessary.
91
92 > > > Again, you may not view categories as useful, but others may.
93 > >
94 > > My experience with categories as they stand, is that to find a
95 > > package whose location I don't already know I have to search all
96 > > categories anyway - it's certainly not possible to predict in which
97 > > category a package lives.
98 >
99 > Not much experience then. Your use scenario above is "I'm looking
100 > for a package", not "I'm trying to find packages in category x".
101
102 Huh? That's my point - if I'm looking for a package I often don't know
103 what category it is until I find it. Some categories are better than
104 others in this respect. The point remains though that categories are
105 one-to-one, where as many packages provide functionality in more
106 than one area (one-to-many). You can do one-to-many in a directory
107 structure by using links (symbolic or hard) - however CVS doesn't
108 support them, and the dep resolver won't cope with that at the moment
109 (it could be made to without too much trouble, I think).
110
111 > Of course categories don't matter to you in your case- you're not
112 > *using* them. What others are talking about how ever is folks who
113 > *are* using categories- say to see if any new packages were added to
114 > games-strategy.
117 > > > > > So again, you've *not* given any reasons to avoid sensible
118 > > > > > package moves.
119 > > > >
120 > > > > Ah; now you're qualifying. What do you consider to be a
121 > > > > sensible package move? I would define it as moves where the
122 > > > > package is blatantly in the wrong category (e.g. a voip package
123 > > > > being found in the app-text category) rather than moves where
124 > > > > the package might be a little more appropriate for one category
125 > > > > than another - especially where that judgement is subjective.
126 > > >
127 > > > Arguement over how to categorize I'll gladly stay out of, although
128 > > > one comment- for pkgs that are (at the initial time of adding)
129 > > > one of a kind, creating a category for it's specific flavor
130 > > > doesn't make much sense.
131 > >
132 > > How to categorise is critical, if they are to have any meaning to
133 > > users.
134 >
135 > Even if a pkg is slightly miscategorized, it still is a fair bit more
136 > useful then having a flat namespace.
137
138 I'm not arguing for a flat namespace here, I'm arguing that package
139 moves should be kept to a minimum.
140
141 > > If you want to see if a package is in the tree, do you go
142 > > straight to it, or do you find yourself doing things like:
143 > >
144 > > ls -d /usr/portage/*/<packagename>*
145 > >
146 > > to find it?
147 >
148 > err...
149 > emerge -s <packagename>
150 > pquery <packagename>
151 > paludis -q <packagename>
152 >
153 > I'm honestly not really sure what point you're making there.
154
155 The point is those search commands you list all do the same thing -
156 find a package from the package name without the category (or at least
157 can do - I don't know the exact behaviour of pquery or paludis). If you
158 knew the category you wouldn't need to search for it - however the fact
159 you have to search for it means the category isn't obvious - and that
160 means it probably falls naturally into more than one category.
161 The reason I use 'ls -d' rather than 'emerge -s' is that it's a _lot_
162 quicker.
165 Kevin F. Quinn