From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:38:14
1 On Wednesday 22 September 2004 08:27 pm, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Personally, I would be *very* wary about giving our x86 users a 5%
3 > performance hit just to enable a hack which might protect you if your
4 > app happens to be badly coded in a particular way... The option's there
5 > for anyone that wants it, but turning it on by default probably isn't
6 > wise...
7
8 personal opinions aside, the fact that it's a FEATURE means that users can
9 easily disable it ... after all, everyone knows Gentoo is about
10 performance ...
11 http://www.cafepress.com/spankgentoo.13531918
12 -mike
15 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list