From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: solar@g.o
Cc: John Richard Moser <nigelenki@×××××××.net>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stack smash protected daemons
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:30:44
1 On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 20:11:54 -0400 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o> wrote:
2 | > Well then leave it turned off, but put a note about the availability
3 | > of the feature in the comments above FEATURES= in make.conf.
4 |
5 | With FEATURES="noautossp" the user would be free to disable it on
6 | their own accord but being a responsible distribution to the users and
7 | the computing world we would/should not.
8
9 Personally, I would be *very* wary about giving our x86 users a 5%
10 performance hit just to enable a hack which might protect you if your
11 app happens to be badly coded in a particular way... The option's there
12 for anyone that wants it, but turning it on by default probably isn't
13 wise...
16 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Sparc, MIPS, Vim, Fluxbox)
17 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
18 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm