From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New install isos needed
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:56:34
1 On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
2
3 > Hi!
4 >
5 > On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Markos Chandras wrote:
6 >> On 25 March 2013 09:30, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
7 >>> I'll say it again: if we don't make install media anymore and
8 >>> tell people to use SRCD instead, we will lose installation
9 >>> support for at least alpha, ppc/64, hppa and ia64. As for sparc,
10 >>> mips and arm, there _might_ be alternatives, but I'm not aware of
11 >>> them.
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> We can suggest SRCD as an alternative just for the amd64/x86 isos
15 >
16 > WFM. Note that I _agree_ that all the install image building is
17 > eating time and is a source for errors.
18
19 While I've personally recommended users to use SRCD and use it myself for
20 a few things, I won't stop working on the amd64 / x86 releases.
21 Also, from a QA standpoint, having automated builds is very important as
22 it allows us to catch many problems with the tree or specific packages.
23
24 > Thing is, if we only build them for fringe archs, we might run
25 > into the "oh well, it's just for those few dozen users, it
26 > doesn't matter if it's slightly broken" effect. Even though the
27 > images were broken for the mainstream, it took quite a while (and
28 > a longish thread) for them to be fixed/taken care of. Imagine if
29 > they'd only been broken for ppc64 and alpha.
30
31 As I said, I won't stop working on the amd64 / x86 releases.
32
33 > While my arch team (alpha) is very lucky to have armin76 taking
34 > good care of the images, not all of them have somebody like him
35 > (who seems to have 36h-days and never sleeping). And if we drop
36 > support for the ISO on amd64/x86, fewer people will probably care
37 > about it, putting more strain on the already thinly-spread arch
38 > teams to fix stuff and track upstream package changes.
39 >
40 > Recommending SRCD as an alternative sounds fine by me, especially
41 > for the sheer volume of possible hardware combinations in
42 > amd64-land. But we should still think of our own ISOs as
43 > something supported on all arches we want to offer.
44 >
45 > Regards,
46 > Tobias
49 Regards,