From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: New install isos needed
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:41:11
1 Hi!
2
3 On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Markos Chandras wrote:
4 > On 25 March 2013 09:30, Tobias Klausmann <klausman@g.o> wrote:
5 > > I'll say it again: if we don't make install media anymore and
6 > > tell people to use SRCD instead, we will lose installation
7 > > support for at least alpha, ppc/64, hppa and ia64. As for sparc,
8 > > mips and arm, there _might_ be alternatives, but I'm not aware of
9 > > them.
12 > We can suggest SRCD as an alternative just for the amd64/x86 isos
13
14 WFM. Note that I _agree_ that all the install image building is
15 eating time and is a source for errors.
16
17 Thing is, if we only build them for fringe archs, we might run
18 into the "oh well, it's just for those few dozen users, it
19 doesn't matter if it's slightly broken" effect. Even though the
20 images were broken for the mainstream, it took quite a while (and
21 a longish thread) for them to be fixed/taken care of. Imagine if
22 they'd only been broken for ppc64 and alpha.
23
24 While my arch team (alpha) is very lucky to have armin76 taking
25 good care of the images, not all of them have somebody like him
26 (who seems to have 36h-days and never sleeping). And if we drop
27 support for the ISO on amd64/x86, fewer people will probably care
28 about it, putting more strain on the already thinly-spread arch
29 teams to fix stuff and track upstream package changes.
30
31 Recommending SRCD as an alternative sounds fine by me, especially
32 for the sheer volume of possible hardware combinations in
33 amd64-land. But we should still think of our own ISOs as
34 something supported on all arches we want to offer.
35
36 Regards,
37 Tobias
40 "Brain, konban wa nani o shimashitai?"
41 "Your Japanese is terrible, Pinky."