From: Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: yngwin@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 13:04:20
1 Alistair Bush wrote:
2 >
3 > Is it really necessary to convince the entire community for every GLEP?
4 > I thought that the reason we have the council is so they can make
5 > decisions. You know specialization of decision making. If the council
6 > is going to expect anyone else, besides themselves, to understand an
7 > issue then why have the council.
10 They are a representative body. OF COURSE they should care what the
11 community thinks. They weren't elected SOLELY for technical ability.
12
13 Sure, they should use their own judgment as well. However, GLEPs should
14 certainly be debated by the community before they are adopted, and the
15 opinions expressed on-list should certainly be taken into account.
16
17 Now, does that mean that every decision requires unanimous community
18 agreement? Of course not! However, the vigorous debate that GLEP55
19 seems to inspire suggests that there are more than just a few "hold-outs."