From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: yngwin@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The fallacies of GLEP55
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 08:29:44
1 Ben de Groot wrote:
2 > Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> For quite some time (over a year, actually) we've been discussing the
4 >> mysterious and often misunderstood GLEP55.
5 >> [http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0055.html]
6 >>
7 >> The proposed solution to a problem that is never refined,
8 >
9 > This, in my opinion, is the crux of the matter. Most of us apparently
10 > are not sufficiently convinced that there actually is a problem. Until
11 > the problem is explained with clarity, the rest of the proposal is useless.
12 >
13 >> "Obviously you don't understand the issue, because if you did you'd support
14 >> it!"
15 >
16 > I concur that speaking for myself, I don't understand the issue. And it
17 > looks like many others don't either. So if anyone wants to promote this
18 > GLEP, their job is clear: make people understand what the issue is here,
19 > and convince them it is actually an issue. (Examples, scenarios usually
20 > work well, indeed a lot better than calling people names.)
21
22 Is it really necessary to convince the entire community for every GLEP?
23 I thought that the reason we have the council is so they can make
24 decisions. You know specialization of decision making. If the council
25 is going to expect anyone else, besides themselves, to understand an
26 issue then why have the council.
29 >> And maybe we can now spend the same amount of
30 >> council-time (it has been eating time for over a year!) to get important
31 >> things done ...
32 >
33 > I want to call on the Council to reject this GLEP in its current form,
34 > as the problem has been insufficiently clarified. We should not waste
35 > more time on it.
36
37 I would like the Council to either accept, reject or send the GLEP back
38 to be clarified if _THEY_ believe it has been insufficiently clarified
39 to enable _THEM_ to understand the GLEP.
42 > Cheers,