From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Installing COPYING or LICENSE files
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:34:58
1 Harald van Dijk wrote:
2 > On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 01:01:10AM -0600, R Hill wrote:
3 >
4 >>>Removing these files and relying on LICENSE=foo in the ebuild could be seen as
5 >>>a copyright violation. There are lots of samples in /usr/src/licenses that
6 >>>aren't generic, but include a copyright notice naming the authors of a
7 >>>particular piece of software, but it doesn't match with all packages under
8 >>>this license of course. Take ZLIB as example. Since I'm not a lawyer I might
9 >>>be wrong, but me thinks it would make sense to ask one.
10 >>
11 >>AFAIK most licenses need to be included with the distribution of the source, not
12 >>installed on the system after compilation. But I could be wrong too.
15 > There are exceptions, a popular one being BSD.
16 >
17 > * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
18 > * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
19 > * documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
20 >
21 > As a quick example, iputils is BSD-licensed and does not install or
22 > reproduce its license, so does this cause problems for iputils binpkgs?
23
24 We are not redistributing anything in binary form when installing
25 programs. This all happens on the users computers. We are distributing
26 upstream source tarballs verbatim of course. If the license should be
27 installed, shouldn't the upstream make install take care of it then?
28
29 Regards,
30 Petteri