From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Installing COPYING or LICENSE files
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 08:55:23
1 On Tue, Dec 27, 2005 at 01:01:10AM -0600, R Hill wrote:
2 > > Removing these files and relying on LICENSE=foo in the ebuild could be seen as
3 > > a copyright violation. There are lots of samples in /usr/src/licenses that
4 > > aren't generic, but include a copyright notice naming the authors of a
5 > > particular piece of software, but it doesn't match with all packages under
6 > > this license of course. Take ZLIB as example. Since I'm not a lawyer I might
7 > > be wrong, but me thinks it would make sense to ask one.
8 >
9 > AFAIK most licenses need to be included with the distribution of the source, not
10 > installed on the system after compilation. But I could be wrong too.
11
12 There are exceptions, a popular one being BSD.
13
14 * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
15 * notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
16 * documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
17
18 As a quick example, iputils is BSD-licensed and does not install or
19 reproduce its license, so does this cause problems for iputils binpkgs?