From: Lars Wendler <polynomial-c@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] berkdb and gdbm in global USE defaults
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 19:57:59
1 On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 14:16:33 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
2
3 >On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 02:55:53PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 >> On 04/07/2018 02:44 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 >> >
6 >> > I'm with floppym on this one. Is there a specific reason we enable
7 >> > them globally?
8 >>
9 >> It's a relic from before we had IUSE defaults.
12 >> > Since there has been so little discussion on this thread, I will
13 >> > start looking at what I need to do to remove these use flags from
14 >> > the profiles.
15 >>
16 >> There's probably a few packages that will need IUSE defaults to avoid
17 >> breakage, and everyone else should get fair warning before the flags
18 >> are turned off by default.
19 >
20 >There is the case of packages that optionally use a db back end,
21 >and I would argue that those may not need iuse defaults.
22 >
23 >It could also be argued that having one backend enabled globally is
24 >good for consistency, but that would end up leading down a bikeshed
25 >path that I'm not sure we should go down. I'm just not sure it makes
26 >sense to enable more than one of these backends globally.
27 >
28 >Thoughts?
29 >
30 >William
33 Considering the questionable license situation with latest sys-libs/db
34 releases (AGPL), I'd say we should prefer gdbm over berkdb in case we
35 want to keep one db backend default enabled.
36 IIRC Fedora is even trying to entirely getting rid of berkdb.
37
38 Lars
41 Lars Wendler
42 Gentoo package maintainer
43 GPG: 21CC CF02 4586 0A07 ED93 9F68 498F E765 960E 9B39