From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] berkdb and gdbm in global USE defaults
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2018 19:16:41
1 On Sat, Apr 07, 2018 at 02:55:53PM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On 04/07/2018 02:44 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I'm with floppym on this one. Is there a specific reason we enable them
5 > > globally?
6 >
7 > It's a relic from before we had IUSE defaults.
10 > > Since there has been so little discussion on this thread, I will start
11 > > looking at what I need to do to remove these use flags from the
12 > > profiles.
13 >
14 > There's probably a few packages that will need IUSE defaults to avoid
15 > breakage, and everyone else should get fair warning before the flags are
16 > turned off by default.
17
18 There is the case of packages that optionally use a db back end,
19 and I would argue that those may not need iuse defaults.
20
21 It could also be argued that having one backend enabled globally is good
22 for consistency, but that would end up leading down a bikeshed path that
23 I'm not sure we should go down. I'm just not sure it makes sense to
24 enable more than one of these backends globally.
25
26 Thoughts?
27
28 William