From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 06:35:52
1 On Wednesday 25 September 2002 12:21, Moritz Schulte wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl> writes:
3 > > Most people do agree though that a kernel alone cannot make an
4 > > operating system, while it is certainly the most important part of
5 > > it. That's why a lot of people just call the linux-and-gnu based
6 > > operating system linux.
7 >
8 > Interesting, that makes me remember the Ford/Mazda comparison somebody
9 > mentioned in this thread: while the Mazda engine is probably the most
10 > important part of the system (the "kernel"), the complete car (the
11 > system as a whole) is named Ford and not Mazda. ;-) But it would be
12 > wrong and weird IMHO to not mention the engine in our car...
15 To take this into the car analogies.
16
17 The car called Linux or Gnu linux
18 Engine: made by Linus Torvalds & co. branded linux
19 Gearbox: made by FSF branded glibc
20 Steering wheel: various misc products by FSF (tar, gzip, bzip2, cpio, cvs,
21 diffutils, bash, ed, emacs, etc.)
22 Body: made (in most cases) by Xfree86.org, branded X
23 Paint: The buyer can choose between several styles, the most notable KDE and
24 GNOME.
25 Oil: Made by various authors: (hdparm, iptables, util-linux, modutils,
26 e2fstools, etc.)
27 Construction facility: made by FSF branded gcc and binutils
28 Design tools: made by FSF and branded automake and autoconf.
29
30 Of course there are plenty of optional add-ons to the linux car that need not
31 all be made using the standard tools/components, but the majority of the
32 add-ons are.
33
34 Paul
37 Paul de Vrieze