From: Moritz Schulte <moritz@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License criteria for Gentoo
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 05:10:09
1 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl> writes:
2
3 > Most people do agree though that a kernel alone cannot make an
4 > operating system, while it is certainly the most important part of
5 > it. That's why a lot of people just call the linux-and-gnu based
6 > operating system linux.
7
8 Interesting, that makes me remember the Ford/Mazda comparison somebody
9 mentioned in this thread: while the Mazda engine is probably the most
10 important part of the system (the "kernel"), the complete car (the
11 system as a whole) is named Ford and not Mazda. ;-) But it would be
12 wrong and weird IMHO to not mention the engine in our car...
13
14 moritz
15 --
16 moritz@×××××××××××××××.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
17 GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06 B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199