From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 23:18:40
1 On 24 March 2014 11:54, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > That said, Is XML that specific that every single atom has to be wrapped by
4 > an individual tag? A comma-separated list of values in its own XML tag is
5 > prohibited by the spec? I don't use XML often (if at all), so I am not
6 > familiar with its intrinsics.
10 By nesting CSV inside XML, you've now got 2 formats to deal with instead of
11 1.
12
13 In pure XML, you can get a properly decoded array of tag elements with a
14 simple XPath query:
15
16 //tag
17
18 But with CSV-in-a-tag you have to extract the tag and subsequently parse it.
19
20 So you're hand implementing a parser to parse parts of XML that already
21 convey data without needing to hand-parse.
22
23 Which is more effort for everyone who touches the file, not less.
24
25 Add to that automated ways to update the tags ( again, having to implement
26 a custom serialiser in addition to the custom parser ) and its just not
27 worth the tiny amount of savings.
28
29 Because really, if space efficiency was #1 priority, we'd not be using XML
30 at all, let alone XML with pesky whitespace indentation that consumes
31 needless bytes. =)
34 Kent