From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC GLEP 1005: Package Tags
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2014 23:43:10
1 On 03/23/2014 19:18, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On 24 March 2014 11:54, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 >> That said, Is XML that specific that every single atom has to be wrapped by
5 >> an individual tag? A comma-separated list of values in its own XML tag is
6 >> prohibited by the spec? I don't use XML often (if at all), so I am not
7 >> familiar with its intrinsics.
11 > By nesting CSV inside XML, you've now got 2 formats to deal with instead of
12 > 1.
13 >
14 > In pure XML, you can get a properly decoded array of tag elements with a
15 > simple XPath query:
16 >
17 > //tag
18 >
19 > But with CSV-in-a-tag you have to extract the tag and subsequently parse it.
20
21 I am probably thinking from a Python perspective then. All you have to do
22 is grab the value of <tags> and then split it on the comma. No custom
23 parsing needed, since that function is built into Python. I guess this
24 might not be the case with other languages, though, and it really just adds
25 to my distaste of XML as a format for metadata.xml in the first place.
28 > So you're hand implementing a parser to parse parts of XML that already
29 > convey data without needing to hand-parse.
30 >
31 > Which is more effort for everyone who touches the file, not less.
32 >
33 > Add to that automated ways to update the tags ( again, having to implement
34 > a custom serialiser in addition to the custom parser ) and its just not
35 > worth the tiny amount of savings.
36 >
37 > Because really, if space efficiency was #1 priority, we'd not be using XML
38 > at all, let alone XML with pesky whitespace indentation that consumes
39 > needless bytes. =)
40
41 I guess I need to start looking for used TARDISes then...
42
43 Thanks for the explanation.
46 Joshua Kinard
47 Gentoo/MIPS
48 kumba@g.o
49 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
50
51 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
52 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
53
54 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic