From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:32:41
1 On Thursday, January 20, 2011 13:51:23 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Il giorno gio, 20/01/2011 alle 19.41 +0100, Matti Bickel ha scritto:
3 > > So, I'm not opposed to your idea. If ya want to archive your stuff
4 > > forever, by all means do it. I just see no point in forcing this on
5 > > all
6 > > devs. So, care to explain or give me pointer on why this is necessary?
7 >
8 > License compliance when distributing binaries
9
10 how is this relevant ? if there are issues with distributing binaries, then
11 were they get distributed isnt important.
12
13 > distributions built upon Gentoo that might use old and set-in-stone Portage
14 > trees
15
16 last i heard, the FSF's interpretation of the GPL was that this is the problem
17 of said derivatives. i'm not saying we shouldnt help out where possible, just
18 that we shouldnt be bending over backwards for them. they want to stay
19 behind, then that is their problem.
20 -mike