From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] July Council Meeting: Requested Agenda Item
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 18:22:39
1 On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 05:50:05PM +0100, Christel Dahlskjaer wrote:
2 > > As for why the Council, because thats what people suggested when I asked
3 > > which route to take when he was unresponsive.
4
5 I see, and that puts your suggestion of conctacting the council in a
6 different angle.
7
8 [some stuff skipped as it seems to be cleared up]
9
10 > > > > 3. Misinformation, misquotations and outright fabrications. Sure,
11 > > > > there's freedom of the press, but that shouldn't be used as an excuse
12 > > > > for deliberately making up quotes and printing intentional
13 > > > > misinformation.
14 > > >
15 > > > Huh? Can you back that statement up?
16 > >
17 > > To take an example, there were made up quotes in my GWN interview,
18 > > however, nothing of great harm. I believe that time it was a case of
19 > > attempting to make it more fun, it is however a worrying trend.
20
21 Agreed, that shouldn't happen.
22
23 > > > > Another complaint is that the GWN rejects any writing style which has
24 > > > > any degree of character or levity. Any attempt at dececnt writing (the
25 > > > > kind that would make it into publication in English newspapers or
26 > > > > magazines, for example), is met with the claim that "the GWN is not a
27 > > > > humorous publication".
28 > > >
29 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20060522-newsletter.xml#doc_chap3
30 > > > Look at the picture and tell me it's not at least a tiny bit
31 > > > humorous. Agreed, the joke is a bit obvious.
32 > >
33 > > I can't quite see how your picture has anything to do with writing style
34 > > and character of writing.
35
36 It's something a not humorous publication probably wouldn't print -
37 but whatever. ;-)
38
39 > > I am not entirely sure why the council wouldn't be a good place to start
40 > > a discussion about this. I believe that the council members will wish to
41 > > help the GWN help themselves sufficiently to solve their problems,
42 > > whether that be attempting to help them think of new ways to attract
43 > > contributors or make any other changes.
44
45 I'm not sure how the council can do something here either, i think
46 discussing it here on the list may probably help solve some issues.
47
48 cheers,
49 Wernfried
52 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
53 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
54 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org