From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] reason for dhcpcd in system profile ?
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 14:32:46
1 On Sun, 2003-08-24 at 16:14, Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:04:29 +0200
3 > Marius Mauch <genone@××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Hi,
6 > >
7 > > what's the reason for dhcpcd being in the system profile
8 > > (default-x86-1.4 at least, haven't checked the others)? If it's only
9 > > because it might be used in /etc/conf.d/net I think it should be
10 > > removed, as there are IMO many users who don't need/want dhcpcd on
11 > > their systems. I know there are a lot of people using dhcp for their
12 > > network config, but why should that impose it on people not using it
13 > > (e.g. I only need it on one of my three boxes)?
14 > > Of course if I miss something obvious here please correct me.
15 >
16 > Ok, it seems most people like dhcpcd being part of system. Then let me
17 > ask another question: Is there a way to get rid of packages in system
18 > that works with world upgrades without creating my own local profile?
19 > Making my own profile probably isn't difficult, but it needs to be
20 > maintained. And all I want is to get rid of 2 or 3 packages that I don't
21 > need/want to be installed.
22 > If there is no such way maybe it should be implemented, or is there a
23 > reason not to do it?
26 The most permanent way I can think of, without updating stubs or
27 injecting packages all the time, is to create a stub in your portage
28 overlay that is a version way bigger, say dhcpcd-10.0 and then
29 merge that ...
32 Cheers,
36 Martin Schlemmer
37 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
38 Cape Town, South Africa