From: Meder Bakirov <bakirov@××××××××.kg>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Setting a nice level for init scripts!
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 09:46:17

Hi all!

Is it possible to define a nice level for init scripts in /etc/conf.d/<script
name>, for example? So, when computer starts it starts these scripts with
specified nice level. We may call it PRIORITY and use it as below, for
example:

/etc/conf.d/somescript:
# Some
# comments here

PRIORITY=-5

and /etc/init.d/somescript will always run with the nice level, specified in
/etc/conf.d/somescript, -5 in this example.

It would be superb to have this feature in Gentoo Linux, so I can dedicate
more CPU time for a process with a high level priority.

AFAIK, Redhat 9 uses this feature, but I didn't check it.

Thank you very much!

Rgrds!