From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.force support
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 13:57:13
1 On Tue, 2005-06-14 at 19:50 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Sven Wegener wrote:
6 > > On Mon, Jun 13, 2005 at 06:56:43PM -0400, Ned Ludd wrote:
7 > >
8 > >>I'm in favor of this. Would you mind calling it package.autouse,
9 > >>package.use.auto or are you set on .force?
12 > > As Mike already wrote those names are too confusing with the automatic
13 > > activated USE flags. We already had some suggestions in this thread, but
14 > > none of them actually matched the purpose of the file. At least in my
15 > > opinion. use.force matches it best, but the "force" part is a quite hard
16 > > term. How about use.profile? Because these USE flags are activated or
17 > > needed by the profile.
18 >
19 > How about use.required, since they're required by the profile?
20
21 I like this much better. It gives the user an obvious sense of the
22 purpose of the file/USE flags. It also doesn't give the impression of
23 "forcing" something on people, but rather to say that "these need to be
24 here for proper functionality of this profile", which seems to be less
25 intrusive.
28 Chris Gianelloni
30 Games - Developer
31 Gentoo Linux