From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 02:13:36
1 Il giorno sab, 02/10/2010 alle 19.54 +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
2 ha scritto:
3 >
4 > With that goal in mind, I'd like to ask anyone with arguments about
5 > this
6 > issue to present them as a reply to this thread.
7
8 I'm going instead to link my latest blog post on the matter where I
9 summarised most of the points. Why a blog post? Because so I have it
10 available as reference for the future together with all the others.
11 Don't like that? Sorry, I don't care; I'm presenting information, if you
12 choose to not even look at it because I serve it via HTTP rather than a
13 mailing list, do state so; I'll make sure to ignore any of your opinions
14 in the future.
15
16 Now, stop with the less-than-friendly remarks, the content is at
17
18 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2010/10/04/libtool-archives-and-their-pointless-points
19
20 Also, I would like to ask again that if you're going to argue "you never
21 know who might use them", you're going to have to actually understand
22 _what_ the files are used for, _which_ software uses them, and come up
23 with a use case for them, not a vague "oh there might be a project that
24 use them".
25
26 I might disagree with Nirbheek's assessment with the severity of the hit
27 on users (or rather, on the relative severity of it compared with the
28 alternative), but his reasoning is at least sound and based on real
29 concerns. Things like "taking in account what isn't in the
30 tree" (without actually having a clue on what .la files are for),
31 looking for "alternative approaches" (to do what, exactly?), or "fixing
32 what needs .la files" (why? if the package needs its own .la files to be
33 around and nothing else, just leave it be!) are not concerns that I care
34 about because they are not based on actual usefulness of .la files but
35 on vague ideas of either fending off the finding of a solution (I don't
36 want to know why, sincerely) or the idea that .la files are a binary
37 situation where you shouldn't have any at all.
38
39 From my point of view, the only points worth to be raised are Nirbheek's
40 (even though I disagree, as I said), Rémi's (which I don't think he
41 either considers showstoppers at this point) and those not-yet-spoken
42 off by Prefix (they might support architectures where .la files are
43 worth something).
44
45 Other than that, do we really have a problem here? Nirbheek's point
46 about stable will become moot next month; since we shouldn't revert the
47 changes that did go to stable, we're left with two main issues here:
48
49 - is it okay to drop them from stable? my personal opinion here is to
50 side with Samuli and say "yes"; on the other hand, since by the looks of
51 it, and the status report Zac gave us, we're going to need just one
52 extra month before just telling users "install lafilefixer and update to
53 stable portage 2.1.9.13", I think we can avoid doing any more of those
54 changes till then — in stable that is; this includes both non-revbumps
55 and stable requests of packages dropping them;
56 - what about Rémi's 2b concern? Sincerely I have worked for a long time
57 with static linking on my job and I don't see libtool files being so
58 excessively necessary; the only problem comes with transitive
59 dependencies, but most packages already take care of that; even if you
60 do not use pkg-config, you have other means to recover it.
61
62 On the other hand, I propose that if somebody have time on their hands
63 (I sincerely don't, unless somebody's going to hire me to, and I'm dead
64 serious), lafilefixer could be improved, and quick-stabled together with
65 the new portage in case, so that it saves the modified metadata in the
66 VDB.
69 Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
70 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
71
72 If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
73 it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/