From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] C++ herd proposal
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 20:26:44
1 Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Saturday 17 September 2005 02:22 pm, Mark Loeser wrote:
3 >>The reason for me adding that bit is the metadata from dev-cpp:
4 >>
5 >>The dev-cpp category contains libraries and utilities relevant to the
6 >>c++ programming language.
7 >>
8 >>Now to me, that means I can find *all* relevant C++ stuff here. If we
9 >>don't want that to be the case, maybe we should say "miscellaneous", but
10 >>why should something be in dev-libs, as compared with dev-cpp?
11 >>net-libs, I could understand, and dev-games, as those could be argued to
12 >>have a direct relation.
15 > for generic C++ packages (STLport/boost for example), i can see them being in
16 > the dev-cpp category ... but for packages which have specific uses already
17 > and arent in 'generic' categories, i dont think they should be moved
18
19 I agree with this, but I think dev-libs and dev-util are generic
20 categories, and moving these packages from there would help users in
21 finding what they need. I think this is what you are saying atleast :)
22
23 Mark