From: Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The Beauty of Unix
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 17:36:57
1 On 2/9/16 7:44 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > I thought the whole beauty of unix was the everything-is-a-file design?
3 No, the beauty of Unix has always been the architectural philosophy of
4 loose-coupling of the components of the system.
5 The "everything is a file" is a result of that philosophy. The end
6 result of this is that you can switch out components of the system
7 without redesigning other aspects of the system. That is the philosophy
8 that allows Gentoo to exist as meta-distribution and to provide choice
9 for what you want.
10
11 On the other side you have Windows which tightly-couples everything in
12 the system. This does have the advantage of making everything have the
13 same look and feel and "just work". And I fully understand why
14 Microsoft went that route, it made things easy for people who don't care
15 and is what made them the huge company that they are today.
16
17 Sidebar, the reason you have to reboot a Windows box so much during
18 updates is because of the tight-coupling. With Unix, you typically only
19 need to reboot if you update the kernel.
20
21 However, tight-coupling has big issues for people who do care or don't
22 like the design that is being given to them. I switched from Windows to
23 Linux and OS X solely because I got very tired of fighting the design
24 forced on to me and the fact that a bug in one piece of software would
25 often kill the entire system.
26
27 And that is the reason that I don't care for systemd. They are
28 tightly-coupling everything together under their design approach. It is
29 intended to be a one size fits all. While it will have the benefit of
30 "just working", and does fit in with where Red Hat, etc, want to go with
31 Linux. It will have the same disadvantages that Windows has.
32
33 Regards,
34 Paul