From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The Beauty of Unix
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 17:58:38
1 On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 12:36 PM, Paul Varner <fuzzyray@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 2/9/16 7:44 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I thought the whole beauty of unix was the everything-is-a-file design?
5 >
6 > No, the beauty of Unix has always been the architectural philosophy of
7 > loose-coupling of the components of the system.
8 > The "everything is a file" is a result of that philosophy. The end result
9 > of this is that you can switch out components of the system without
10 > redesigning other aspects of the system. That is the philosophy that allows
11 > Gentoo to exist as meta-distribution and to provide choice for what you
12 > want.
13
14 While I agree with much of that, keep in mind that strictly avoiding
15 loose coupling is a decision that actually denies some choices.
16
17 Strong coupling between my service manager and cron implementation
18 means that I can set one configuration option and have it apply to
19 everything, or have a common syntax across them. Having it all tie
20 into kdbus means a simpler interface design for all of it.
21
22 I think this can be carried too far, and I don't use the full systemd
23 family for everything I do. However, when I find that it makes sense
24 to use various systemd components together there are a lot of benefits
25 from the tight coupling.
26
27 And we already accept this in other parts of the system, the kernel
28 being the most obvious. You can't use one implementation of /proc and
29 a different implementation of /sys, and use zfs from FreeBSD
30 seamlessly on the same system (I'm not saying you can't port all of
31 those into the same codebase - just as you could probably port eudev
32 into systemd if you wanted to fork them both).
33
34 My point was that providing common interfaces to system services was
35 actually a big part of the unix appeal. It hasn't fully kept up, and
36 I think somebody already mentioned Plan 9 in the thread. I'm not
37 really sure I want my window manager to be part of the kernel, even if
38 it is a microkernel, and there will always be another layer of
39 abstraction. But, the goal is still a good one, and of course with
40 Gentoo you have the choice not to use it (though it may become a
41 harder one to sustain if some of the various upstreams wither away)
44 Rich