From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 03:41:56
1 On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:51:08 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > That arbitrary collection of packages is called a system. I don't think
5 > the goal for Gentoo should be to abandon standards like POSIX in favor
6 > of 'design system yourself but don't come crying to us if you forget
7 > some vital component which will make your system unbootable'.
8
9 "Gentoo" is actually an old Navaho word meaning "some assembly required,
10 batteries not included". You thought it was a penguin?
11
12 > Such a goals may be good for distributions like Exherbo which aim to
13 > make everything perfect. I believe that Gentoo aims more around 'good
14 > enough but at least realistic', instead of running for some kind of
15 > utopia which simply does not work.
16
17 I don't understand your stance here, because to me 'good enough but
18 realistic' means ignoring standards when they're stupid, embracing them when
19 they're not, and forging your own where they don't yet exist. Perfection, by
20 definition, requires an existing standard to hold yourself up against.
24 gcc-porting
25 toolchain, wxwidgets we were never more here, expanse getting broader
26 @ gentoo.org but bigger boats been done by less water