From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: prune_libtool_files() and pkg-config dependency
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 12:31:04
1 On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:50 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 22:51:08 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Such a goals may be good for distributions like Exherbo which aim to
5 >> make everything perfect. I believe that Gentoo aims more around 'good
6 >> enough but at least realistic', instead of running for some kind of
7 >> utopia which simply does not work.
8 >
9 > I don't understand your stance here, because to me 'good enough but
10 > realistic' means ignoring standards when they're stupid, embracing them when
11 > they're not, and forging your own where they don't yet exist. Perfection, by
12 > definition, requires an existing standard to hold yourself up against.
13
14 In any case, I wasn't suggesting that a typical user would run without
15 POSIX. I just think that we'd be better off if our dependencies were
16 fully specified which will aid those doing unusual things with Gentoo.
17
18 Keep in mind that unusual unix-like implementations are all around us.
19 I doubt a Tivo even has a shell installed, and a typical Android
20 phone has a very non-traditional set of tools available.
21
22 I think the default Gentoo install should be pretty similar to what it
23 is today. However, more flexibility to deviate isn't a bad thing.
24
25 That said, having fully specified dependencies without giving
26 headaches to maintainers is also a good goal. I think that absent
27 better tools @system is always going to have to be a compromise.
28
29 Rich