From: "Jared H. Hudson" <jhhudso@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ebuild question
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:02:51
1 > Should I compile all 4 of them? Yes doing this would take some bash magic but
2 > not too much. If I should do all four of them what naming convention should I
3 > use for the differant executables? Some thing like nethackQt nethackGnome?
4
5 I would say yes, do this. If you need an example, look at:
6 app-editors/vim for example, it builds a GUI version and a non-GUI version.
7
8 It's really not that hard. The way I would lay it out is:
9
10 # handle use options common to all types
11 use foo && myconf="$myconf --enable-foo"
12 use foo2 && myconf="$myconf --enable-foo2"
13
14 # handle first possible build type
15 if [ "`use gnome`" ];
16 then
17 ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=$CHOST \
18 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-gtk --enable-gnome $myconf \
19 || die "gnome & gtk configure failed"
20 emake || die "gnome & gtk make failed"
21
22 mv src/foo src/gfoo
23 fi
24
25 # handle second possible build type
26 if [ "`use kde`" ];
27 then
28 ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=$CHOST \
29 --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-qt --enable-kde $myconf \
30 || die "kde & qt configure failed"
31 emake || die "kde & qt make failed"
32
33 mv src/foo src/kfoo
34 fi
35
36 # handle normal build type
37 ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=$CHOST \
38 --mandir=/usr/share/man $myconf \
39 || die "normal configure failed"
40 emake || die "normal make failed"
43 My example may not be perfect, but you get the idea (I hope)
44
45 -Jared H.
48 > Should I just pick one of them and compile that one? What if I pick the one
49 > the user doesn't want?
50 >
51 > Should I force some user interaction with the build process? Other words ask
52 > them which one they want? I don't really like this option myself.
53 >
54 > And now even more questions.
55 > On instalation of the above should I create menu items in KDE and GNOME if the
56 > user has them? And a side question to that is it seems that KDE does not
57 > automaticly include the GNOME apps but GNOME does automaticly include he KDE
58 > apps so if I'm doing a KDE build should I add it to the GNOME menu if they
59 > have it. And the reverse if I'm doing a GNOME build should I add that to the
60 > KDE menus?
61 >
62 > Any thoughts on the above would be helpfull.
63 > Thanks
64 > Richard Jackson
66 > gentoo-dev mailing list
67 > gentoo-dev@g.o