From: Richard Jackson <richardj@××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ebuild question
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 23:34:03
1 I have a ebuild script question. I'm working on adding Qt 3 to nethack. I
2 think I saw a post at one point that someone else was doing this as well.
3 Either way I'm going to do this as an educational experance. When I have it
4 clean I will track down the other person working on it and see if they want
5 what I have done. If not I will just calk it up to experance. I picked this
6 one becase it has some uniqe issues and I thought if I could get this one
7 right then the experance will help latter on.
8
9 Now to the question.
10
11 Nethack is uniqe in that it can be compiled many differant ways
12 1) Console - This is currently the only option
13 2) Qt 3 or 2 - I have this one pretty much done using Qt 3.
14 3) X11
15 4) KDE
16 5) Gnome
17
18 The problem with this is that what it looks to be doing is compiling in
19 support for Console and one widget set into one executable. And I can't seem
20 to beable to get all 5 options to work at one time witch I kinda figured it
21 wouldn't. So lets say the user has this in his/her USE statment:
22 USE="qt x11 kde gnome"
23
24 How would I go about handling the compile?
25
26 Should I compile all 4 of them? Yes doing this would take some bash magic but
27 not too much. If I should do all four of them what naming convention should I
28 use for the differant executables? Some thing like nethackQt nethackGnome?
29
30 Should I just pick one of them and compile that one? What if I pick the one
31 the user doesn't want?
32
33 Should I force some user interaction with the build process? Other words ask
34 them which one they want? I don't really like this option myself.
35
36 And now even more questions.
37 On instalation of the above should I create menu items in KDE and GNOME if the
38 user has them? And a side question to that is it seems that KDE does not
39 automaticly include the GNOME apps but GNOME does automaticly include he KDE
40 apps so if I'm doing a KDE build should I add it to the GNOME menu if they
41 have it. And the reverse if I'm doing a GNOME build should I add that to the
42 KDE menus?
43
44 Any thoughts on the above would be helpfull.
45 Thanks
46 Richard Jackson