From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 19 -- Gentoo Stable Portage Tree
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 02:22:10
1 On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 13:27, Brian Jackson wrote:
2 > One problem I have with this is that it says all ebuilds should remain
3 in the
4 > tree for a minimum of one year. 4 releases a year, and every package
5 in the
6 > tree is going to have 4 versions that can't be cleaned out for at
7 least a
8 > year. Not to mention that it's going to be hard to get developers in
9 to the
10 > mindset of saving old ebuilds when we've been beating them ruthlessly
11 about
12 > keeping portage clean for the past 6 months at least. Do you have any
13 ideas
14 > about how to deal with this?
15
16 One option would be to take a modified version of the approach that
17 OpenBSD uses: X times per year a "release" is made by a script that
18 looks through the tree for stable-marked ebuilds and tags them
19 RELEASE-YYYY_N and either creates a new STABLE-YYYY_N branch or adds the
20 ebuilds to an already-existing STABLE branch (my personal preference
21 would be for the former, but that may be just because I'm more familiar
22 with it). By adding bugfixes to the appropriate STABLE branch we
23 rigorously enforce the difference between a static release and the
24 slowly-moving stable branch. Moreover, once the release has been cut it
25 shouldn't matter if devs prune the HEAD tree, since the old ebuilds will
26 still be in the appropriate branch as far as the users are concerned.
27
28 Incidentally, I agree w/ Spider. I think that four Enterprise releases
29 per year is overly ambitious.
30
31 Best,
32 g2boojum