From: Mikael Hallendal <hallski@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Notes on Mozilla
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 09:39:26
1 mån 2001-12-10 klockan 20.18 skrev Martin Schlemmer:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I have been doing most of the Mozilla changes updates for
5 > the last while (with help from Hallski). This means that
6 > I have compile mozilla too many times for one person ;-)
7
8 Hehe, I think that goes for anyone doing more than once in a lifetime :)
9
10 > To get to the point, I have tested Mozilla with the GTK+,
11 > QT and XLIB toolkits. GTK+ is stable as a rock, where
12 > QT is pretty flaky, and XLIB seems to be still in heavy
13 > development (could be wrong). Now, to determine which should
14 > be used, can get tricky.
15
16 I'm a little less stressed than I was when we discussed this on IRC.
17 Since mozilla ebuild uses mozqt to check if it should build with
18 qt-support I think it would be ok to still support it.
19
20 If so we should add a very large comment in the default make.conf that
21 this is a very instable option. But there might be people needing this
22 (I imagine mozilla builds some kind of mozqtembedd.so or something that
23 can be used as an html-widget in other apps?).
24
25 If there is such a library, would it be possible to build it while at
26 the same time use Gtk+ for Mozilla internals, thus not making the
27 Mozilla program instable?
28
29 About the XLIB-stuff I think it would be ok to drop it, as you say, Gtk+
30 is not a heavy dependency.
31
32 > Anyhow, feedback will be appreciated, and enjoy the new
33 > NSS/SSL support in mozilla/evolution :) (NOTE: mozilla
34 > should be build with 'ssl' in USE ... )
35
36 Thanks, you rock!
37
38 Regards,
39 Mikael Hallendal
43 Mikael Hallendal
44 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop Team Leader
45 CodeFactory AB, Stockholm, Sweden