From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] couple proposals (xinitrc.d and comatibility with RH-like init)
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 08:30:03
1 On Friday 13 August 2004 01:59, Anton Starikov wrote:
2 > Hi!
3 >
4 > I think it could be not so bad to implement two small features:
5 >
6 > 1) Like in many distributions, /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/ directory,
7 > where scripts ("services") which must be run with X for any user.
8 > OK, GDM support it by default, but the rest of DMs and startx script -
9 > not. Also, for example, xfce4 session trying to exec it one more time.
10 > So, I guess it could be not so bad to make it as standard feature in
11 > gentoo, and fix it for all DMs and startx script. Also it is possible to
12 > put scripts for xinitrc.d in some packages. For example imwheel. XXkb
13 > and so on. Things which you would like probably to start with X in any
14 > case, once you merge them. It just flexible solution in SysV style.
15
16 Current gdm and kdm support ${HOME}/.xprofile and /etc/xprofile that can be
17 used for this. I don't know whether the default xinitrc supports them, but
18 this is the way to go.
21 > 2) to implement some basic backward compatibility with SysV init with
22 > RH-like style (/etc/rc.d/rcX.d). Just to add some service (script) in
23 > gentoo-style for /etc/init.d which will start/stop services from
24 > /etc/rc.d/rc5.d, for example, when this service start/stop. Because
25 > some programs(mostly comercial) use it by default. Even when you merge
26 > Win4Lin from ebuild it still put scripts in RH-like init. Of course you
27 > can rewrite them. but...it seems that ebuild for something like
28 > "rhinit-compat" could be better solution. In case when you use more than
29 > one program that use RH-like init, and time to time make update of such
30 > programs. You will avoid editing of scripts.
31
32 The problem is that they are not really compatible. Using rh-style init
33 together with gentoo init is a recipe for disaster.
34 >
35 > Actually, I have both features implemented by myself on my machines for
36 > year. But I'm tired after each update of KDM for example, go and edit
37 > Xsession from KDM :)
38 > If there some interest, I can give patches for current versions of DMs
39 > to maintainers of correspondent ebuilds.
40
41 The most needed parts are allready implemented, so patches are not needed
42
43 Paul
46 Paul de Vrieze
47 Gentoo Developer