From: "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@×××××.net>
To: gipe@×××××××××.ca, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] IDE ATAPI CD-RW: give the newbies a leg up!
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 09:57:54
1 I have given pretty detailed instructions in the past on this list how to do
2 it, with both modules and with linking ide-scsi into the kernel. Both work.
3 Search the archives, it is only a week or so back.
4
5 Tom Veldhouse
6
7 ----- Original Message -----
8 From: "Gilles Pelletier" <gipe@×××××××××.ca>
9 To: <gentoo-dev@g.o>
10 Cc: <drobbins@g.o>
11 Sent: Sunday, October 27, 2002 1:25 PM
12 Subject: [gentoo-dev] IDE ATAPI CD-RW: give the newbies a leg up!
15 Isn't it strange that, though almost everybody now has an IDE ATAPI
16 CD-RW, instructions on how to get them working are very hard to find?
17
18 Please don't forget the newbies. Even if they used Mandrake, Lycoris,
19 ELX or Xandros, ir won't be much help if they want to learn more with
20 Gentoo. Make sure you give them an adequate leg up. Don't forget
21 J-C's advice: no strong foundations, no solid building . :)
22
23 So, Here are the instructions I wrote using Slackware (I haven't moved
24 to Gentoo... yet.) I suppose it would be easy for you to adapt them
25 if need be.
26
27 -------------------
28
29 Add
30
31 append="hdx=ide-scsi"
32
33 to /etc/lilo.conf
34 ­­­­­
35 This line loads a module in the kernel for scsi emulation because
36 Linux normally works only with scsi cd writers. The x should usually
37 be replaced by c as the cd rewriter is most often plugged as the
38 secondary master. If not, it should be b for primary slave or d for
39 secondary slave.
40
41 --------------------
42
43 Add
44
45 /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
46
47 to /etc/rc.d/rc.modules
48
49 This line loads the scsi module installed by lilo.conf
50
51 ---------------------
52
53 Add
54
55 /dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user,ro 0 0
56
57 to /etc/fstab
58
59 At boot time, this line in the file system table (fstab) will allow to
60 mount the cdrom to the mount point /mnt/cdrom .
61
62 *********************
63 For more advanced users:
64
65 Notice that, after loading the scsi module, if no other scsi device is
66 present, the device for the cdrom is scd0 instead of hdc (for a
67 read-only ide cdrom plugged on secondary master.) In some Linux
68 distros, a link is made from /dev/scd0 to /mnt/cdrom or other
69 mounting point, so that the line in fstab may read something like:
70
71 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user,ro 0 0
72 **********************
73
74 The third field means the file system is the standard iso9660.
75
76 "noauto", means "Do not mount the device automatically at boot time" .
77 (On the countrary, your hard disk, which is a non-removable device,
78 is mounted automatically. The system knows it is there, whereas there
79 might not be a cd in your cd writer :)
80
81 "user" allows any user to mount the cdrom. "owner" would allow only
82 root to mount it. "users" would allow to unmount the cdrom even if it
83 has been mounted by another user: seldom used.
84
85 "ro" means read-only. Don't ask me why the cd writer has to be mounted
86 read-only.
87
88 "0 0" relates to dumping and checking the filesystem. Forget about
89 this for now.
90
91 ----------------
92
93 That's it folks! Don't you think, for 99.9% of your users, those few
94 lines would do a better job than the 75k outdated howto?
95
96 Gilles Pelletier
97 --
98 La Masse critique